Sunday, October 14, 2012

Loyalty & Disappointment

A facebook friend posted a quote that I find to be very true: "Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family." My instant response? "I must not have a lot of family." 

Yesterday, I was disappointed by a lot of people. Family, friends, a "love" interest. I keep a lot bottled inside because I hate conflict. I despise tension. Do you think they care if I'm disappointed in their lack of loyalty? I doubt it. 

Loyalty is a value that I hold very highly. It pisses me off when I'm loyal to a person and I don't get it in return. I begin to withdraw and I slowly detach myself emotionally because I'm becoming apathetic. That's how any guy who is "talking" to me knows I'm losing interest. I withdraw. I'm not as excited to talk to them anymore. It may take me forever to return a text or a phone call. I may not ever pick up the phone for them anymore.

Loyalty is a mixture of honesty and reliability. I try to be honest as much as possible without the intent of hurting anyone. I believe I am extremely reliable and dependable. If you need me, if I can, I'll help you whether it's financial or you need someone to listen to you vent or to babysit someone or to drive you somewhere, etc. etc. I feel that my loyalty makes me an excellent partner, friend, relative, co-worker, whatever. 

My fierce loyalty tends to get me constantly disappointed. Because I find it to be such a strong quality to possess, I usually expect it from others. Expectations breed disappointments so I really shouldn't expect anything but in my heart of hearts, I do. I believe in doing unto others the way I want them to do unto me so when I don't get it reciprocated, it hurts like hell. I always wonder WHY. WHY can't I call on them the way they can call on me? WHY can't they be there for me when I need someone the way I am there for them?

I'm tired. I'm tired of being a doormat. I'm tired of being available and convenient. I'm tired of being at everyone's beck and call. While I have outgrown the "please everyone" stage, I do value certain relationships and I am loyal to those. I just hate that they don't feel the same. So do I just say, "F*** 'em?" No. I can't. No matter how much I vent and complain and am disappointed, I just can't "let go" like that. That's probably why I am their doormat. (I love how I psychoanalyze myself. lol). What I can do is be less available. I can prove my loyalty to those who will not only appreciate it, but will also return the loyalty to me. Trust me, a person's loyalty is something that I treasure and it won't be wasted on me.

The moral of this story? Loyalty will get you pretty much anywhere with me. Take that how you want to. lol


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?