Saturday, October 6, 2012

Disturbing Memory

I was driving home today from my sorority meeting and had the strangest thought. I imagined my daughter being watched by someone else while I attended a meeting and this someone else touched my daughter inappropriately. This passing thought instantly made my heart beat fast and I was making myself agitated. Now, fortunately, nothing has happened to my daughter but this thought made me think of what happened to me as a child. My mom was friends with this lady who had several children, one of them being a teenager and another was a school peer of mine. I was about 7-8 years old. We were all playing outside and I went inside for something to drink. As I was going back outside, the teenaged brother of my school peer asked me to "Come here." He was sitting on a bed in one of the bedrooms and he asked me to come closer to him. I did. He started to touch my backside and my vagina and he began trying to tongue kiss me. He still had a hold of me and he laid back on the bed, bringing me with him. He kept touching me and kissing me and I had no idea what was going on. He immediately stopped what he was doing when he heard someone approaching the porch. He abruptly walked out as I was standing there looking confused with my pants around my ankles. All I could think of was how weird the situation was and wondered why he did it. I pulled my pants up and walked back outside. 

It scared me to think this because I don't want something like this to happen to my daughter, who is 5, and she does exactly what I did: NOTHING. I want her to come to me and tell me if something like that ever happens to her. I want her to be able to share with me everything that goes on in her life, the good and the bad. ESPECIALLY something that makes her uncomfortable and puts her in a compromising situation. Our relationship is important and that's why I try hard to make sure that even at 5, we have that type of relationship where she trusts me and knows that I have her back regardless.

2 comments:

  1. wow, its horrible that so many of us went through things such as this as children, never knowing how big or small the issue was. but with age comes wisdom and you now have the wisdom to educate your baby on issues such as these

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been through the storm and are still here in your right mind to talk about it for a reason. They say TALKING ABOUT it is a big deal. If you never mentioned it the world wouldn't know what you have been through. I'm glad you don't look like what you've been through in life. I wasn't there, but I'm sorry you had to deal with such things even from a young age. Keep doing your part as a Mother and encouraging her to opening up. She is at an age where you would need to start explaining that she shouldn't let people do certain things to her, no matter the relationship to her.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?