Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Deadbeat Dads

I have a court hearing on Thursday morning pertaining to child support, his "failure to pay." I received the notice in July and surprise, surprise, he begins to pay in September. I have no problem with it. I only enforced CS because he wasn't paying. I feel that a child is a two-person responsibility on the mother AND the father. I am the custodial parent and I do everything by myself and have been since I've been pregnant. He's been very wishy-washy as a father because of our relationship and I find it highly unfair for our daughter. 

Deadbeat dads really annoy me. How can you sleep at night not knowing how your child is doing? If your child is okay? Everything is fine when they are having sex with you. Everything is just peachy. Then *uh-oh* a slip-up and the woman becomes pregnant. He may or may not be involved in the pregnancy but once that child comes? You start seeing his real true colors. Why do men feel that they are not accountable for the life that they helped create?

The problem with dealing with a deadbeat dad is hearing your child ask about him and you have to stretch the truth some so as not to make the sorry asshole look bad. You don't want to lie but to protect the child, it's almost like you're forced to. When my daughter asks when can she see her dad, the REAL answer is, "I'm not sure. He doesn't really want to see you." The answer I give is, "He lives in Austin. He stays far away." Which is truthful...but not the sole reason why she can't see him. When my daughter asks if she can call her dad, the REAL answer is, "Baby, he won't pick up because he doesn't want to talk to you." The answer I give is, "I think he's at work right now" or "Baby, he's probably asleep. He has to go to work in the morning." Hell, I don't know if he even works during the day or night. I asked him for $30 to assist with school uniforms, which is barely one uniform outfit, and he told me to get lost. She makes things for him at school and I take a picture to text to him and I hear nothing from him.

Deadbeat dads feel that they do what they want in hopes to hurt the women. They are so selfish and wrapped around their warped feelings that they don't realize they are hurting their child(ren). There are too many times when I have seen the hurt in my daughter's eyes behind the disappointment of her father. And it kills me. I hate what he's doing. 

I will never badmouth him to her. Never have, never will. She will know by HIS actions what a deadbeat he is. She is five now so she doesn't truly understand what's going on. It's always just been me and her, so she doesn't know any different. But as she gets older, I notice that she sometimes asks me why her dad isn't at a program at her school or where is he for Father's Day. I know that little girls need their fathers around. I just hope his absence doesn't affect her negatively. 

A lot of the time, I feel that I cheated my daughter from having a father around, that my poor decision will have some adverse affect on her later in life. All I can do is pray and hope for the best. 

Me and You
Your smile is like sunshine
Brightening my darkest days
Your laughter is like fresh air
It’s so clean and so pure
Your intelligence surpasses your age
There is no stopping you

You are my best accomplishment
And you deserve the best
I hope to be that for you
I refuse to give you any less
My eternal gift for you, my child?
My heart of unconditional love.

I will always live my life
Making up for my poor choices
Decisions that directly affect you
My heart bleeds for you
My soul cries even harder
I hope you understand one day

I made a promise to you
The moment I knew of your life
I would never abandon you
I will always stay by your side
I would never leave you
Because you are a part of me

Right now, it’s just me and you
Our trio has gone down to two
I’ll do my best to make it up to you
Doing what it takes to protect your heart
Despite not being complete to society
I hope I’m enough for you to feel whole.
~Constance G. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?