Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blessings

Courtesy of Google Images

I was laid off from my job of almost 4 years in July 2011. It was something that I totally was not expecting. I worked my butt off the previous school year at a brand new school as a social worker that I ended up flourishing at, I did extra work, and I helped other campuses with their casework. I got along with the faculty and staff and the kids couldn't stay out of my office because they enjoyed all I did for them. I went out of pocket a lot of times to make sure they had what they needed. So during my 3rd day of my summer VACATION, I received a phone call that was odd and my gut told me that I was about to be fired. My supervisor asked me to come in. We got along fairly well so I joked with him and said, "What, am I about to be FIRED? *chuckle*" Sure enough, I was laid off due to "reduction in workforce." I cried while he profusely apologized for his supervisor's decision. I asked a lot of questions before walking away from my life: "Where is SHE (his supervisor)? Why didn't SHE lay me off? I am your ONLY licensed social worker...why me? What did I do wrong? There are people here who were hired just this year who get to keep their jobs...why am I one of the ones let go? How is it that I am conveniently being let go at the end of the pay period?" He couldn't answer any of my questions because he was blindsided as well. I went back that following Friday to talk to HER and ask her why I was laid off instead of some of the newcomers or some of the ones who never made their quota on caseloads. She gave me the runaround (basically, she pulled a "Romney") and said, "If there is an opening, you'll be the first I call." I didn't thank her, I didn't even acknowledge that lie. I just walked out. I was pissed. I cried for days. How was I going to pay my bills? How was I going to eat? School is next month...how am I going to buy my daughter's clothes and school supplies? What the HELL am I going to do??

It has been about 15 months since I was laid off. God has been very good to me, even when I've felt that I wouldn't be able to make it. I have made every monthly rent payment, meaning I haven't been evicted. My lights haven't been cut off. My daughter not only got all of her school supplies, but she also got her uniform clothes (and her school gave me extra ones!). We have food in the pantry and refrigerator. My phone hasn't been cut off. All my miscellaneous bills are taken care of. My car finally has been paid off (no more car notes!). The time I have been unemployed, I took advantage of my time to get back into writing and I published my first book (My 1st Published Book <----shameless plug lol). I have the poetry for my 2nd book completed. I started this blog. I can spend time volunteering at my daughter's school. I am available to family that need me during the week. My eye has been bothering me for a couple of weeks and I had to go see an optometrist. I don't have insurance anymore, but one of my sorority sisters (EE-YIP!) is an eye doctor and she assisted me in getting my eye exam completed plus provided me with contacts and solution. She is an absolute Godsend and without her, it would have been difficult to come up with the money to pay for it. Because of her assistance, I am able to afford glasses with my new prescription. My sorority sisters have been very supportive of me, whether it's purchasing my book or paying my way to our Regional conference. 

Do I even want to go back to work? YES I DO!!!!!!!! I look for jobs and apply often to no avail. If I don't find a job by the end of November, I will relocate to the Dallas area, where the jobs are more abundant. But even though I get a very small income from UI benefits monthly, I have been able to budget it in a way where I can still maintain my modest lifestyle. I have people around me that care about me (or maybe they care more for my daughter's well-being lol) and I know who I can call on if I truly need real help. 

Despite being unemployed and low on funds, I can say one thing: I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?